Room-in-the-Inn Core Team sincerely thanks all the CCC community groups, Sunday School classes, families, and individuals who helped us host, serve, feed, and care for 150 homeless men who were welcomed as our guests twice a month all winter. As part of the larger RITI outreach, CCC served alongside 180 other congregations throughout the greater Nashville area who reached out and cared for the homeless this season.
Who We Serve
At least half of Room In The Inn’s participants are temporarily or “first time” homeless. Generally, they are working poor who have suffered setbacks like job loss, illness, loss of transportation and divorce. The other fifty percent of our participants are chronically homeless. They often face one or more serious issues, including mental illness, addiction and physical disabilities. Many of Room In The Inn’s participants are military veterans. In the United States, nearly one-third of homeless adults are veterans.
The challenges that most of us face on a daily basis are difficult enough with adequate support and resources. When the poor and homeless lack such assistance, maintaining housing and employment makes their survival overwhelming and financially devastating. Through Room In The Inn, they access programs that meet their emergency needs, support them through transitional periods, and lead them back towards self-sufficiency and long-term success.
How You Help
- Room In The Inn serves more than 4,000 individuals each year: some for just one day, many for weeks or months at a time.
- Room In The Inn serves, on average, more than 400 people each day.
- We serve 90% men and 10% women.
- According to the Metropolitan Homelessness Commission, our city has an “average” number of homeless persons compared to comparable cities.
- 30% report being employed, but unable to obtain housing.
- Nashville’s Room In The Inn program has served as a model for similar initiatives in 18 other cities across the United States and Canada.
- With successful programs like Workforce Development, hundreds of individuals have been successfully placed in jobs in the Nashville area.
- Each year, through our downtown Campus and over 180 religious congregations we provide more than 60,000 beds, 50,000 showers, 100,000 meals, and 28,000 bus passes, with the help of more than 6,000 volunteers.
- Room In The Inn offers more than 3,000 classes equaling more than 44,000 instructional hours annually, covering subjects ranging from spirituality to GED preparation.
CCC's Room in the Inn Ministry
Christ Community Church will host 15 homeless men the first and third Sunday each month from November through March. There are many things we provide for the men--a wonderful meal, a hot shower, hair cuts, laundry service, a clean bed, a hearty breakfast, a sack lunch, but the most important thing we give them is love.
At Christ Community, our Room In The Inn program is truly a family affair. It is a wonderful time to fellowship with folks from our CCC family as we serve others.
Click here to watch a video about the Room in the Inn ministry.